- Fall 2013
- Spring 2014
- About SM AYSO
- About Our Soccer Programs
- Board & Staff Contacts
- FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions
- Fields & Safety
- Information for Players
- Kids Zone
- Lost & Found
- Rules & Guidelines
- Administrative Access
- Players will be selected after participation in a series of tryouts. Additional tryouts may be held in the summer for players who were unavailable for the first round of tryouts. Tryouts will be competitive.
- Tryouts will consist of game like situations and will be organized by qualified coaches and trainers.
- Coaches will assist in tryouts and player selection but will not have the final say about player selections for Extra teams.
- Upon completion of the tryouts, the Region 20 Extra selection group will select the Extra teams.
- Players who are not selected will, of course, have the option of participating in our primary AYSO Fall program and will be encouraged to do so. The primary AYSO Fall program will continue to provide post season play opportunities with all-star and Spring Select teams. Parents are encouraged to remain positive with their kids, even if they don’t get selected for Extra.
Subject to having sufficiently skilled players and coaches participating in the Extra program as well as compatible teams from other Area 1P Regions, it is anticipated that there will be one Extra team per age group (as shown below) per gender. This number may increase in future seasons.
# of Players per Team:
- U10- 9 or 10 players per team
- U11 &/or U12- 12 players per team
- U14- 14 or 15 players per team
Each team may have alternates. This will be decided on a team by team basis. Alternates selected by Extra teams in each age division will be placed on teams in the Primary AYSO program. They will play games and practice with their core teams. They will play on their Extra team when and if the coach of the Extra team decides it is necessary.
Alternates are encouraged to attend Extra practices if possible, but they must give priority to core team practices. An alternate player who does not have a satisfactory attendance record for his or her core team may have alternate status revoked.
A player may choose not to participate in Extra as an alternate and can just participate in the core program if he or she so chooses.
Your child will be selected on the basis that he or she will not participate in a Club program while playing in the Extra Fall season, because the two programs require such high levels of commitment that a player on both a Club and an Extra team cannot satisfy his or her obligations to both teams. A player who joins a Club after being selected to participate on an Extra team should expect to lose his or her place on the Extra team.